Drivers Licence Renewal-The Complete Guide
Drivers licence renewal must be done four weeks prior to the the expiry of the drivers licence. In case, the licence expires, the holder will have to apply for a temporary licence at additional fee waiting for the renewal of the main drivers licence. Carefully examine the guide so that you can equip yourself.
It must however be noted that, the renewal of the licence does not require a test. The applicant rather go through eye test and the fingerprints taken. The applicant can also ask a qualified optometrist to conduct the eye test and the report submitted to the nearest DLTC. In case your sight has deteriorated from the time the licence was issued, new driving conditions may be attached to the renewed licence.
Where and How to Apply
- Visit any nearest Drivers Licence Testing Centre (DLTC) submit the following documents to assist them renew your drivers licence:
- Original Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, valid South African passport or the old driving licence card.
- Four black-and-white ID photographs. Confirm from the DLTC centre the actual number of photographs required before taking the photographs.
- Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- For those living in informal area or settlement, a letter date stamped by a ward Councillor should be submitted which confirm the residential and postal address of the applicant.
- Prescribed application fee which can be obtained from the nearest DLTC.
- All applicants in Gauteng can book their renewal drivers licence online using the all new RTMC Drivers and Learners Online Portal . Those from other provinces can still try as RTMC is adding other provinces to the new online booking portal for conveniences.
- The applicant is required to complete drivers licence renewal application form (DL1) which is available at the DLTC.
- Complete the notification of change of particulars or address of person or organization form also available at the DLTC.
- The applicant will undergo an eye test at the DLTC or have a qualified optometrist does the eye test and the report sent to DLTC.
- The renewal takes weeks ranging from four to six weeks.
- You will be notified when the renewal drivers licence is ready.
DLTC Centres or Locations
- City of Johannesburg
- City of Tshwane
- City of Cape Town
- Nelson Mandela Bay
- Eastern Cape municipalities
- Free State municipalities
- Gauteng municipalities
- KwaZulu-Natal municipalities
- Limpopo municipalities
- Mpumalanga municipalities
- North West municipalities
- Northern Cape municipalities
- Western Cape municipalities