sassa documents needed for application

SASSA Documents Needed for Application

Documents needed for sassa Applications

Are you applying or wish to apply for Sassa grants or possibly a family member or friend wants to apply? Probably you want to know what sassa documents that will be needed for the categories of sassa applications. In this guide you have all the documents that you will need and the links, if available, that can help you download.

To start with, sassa is the acronym for South Africa Social Security Agency. It’s a government agency which supervises and manages social security system in the republic of south Africa.
It has about eight (8) categories of beneficiaries namely:

  • Care Dependency Grant
  • Child Support Grant
  • Disability Grant
  • Foster Child Grant
  • Grant-In-Aid
  • Older Persons Grant
  • Social Relief of Distress
  • War Veterans Grant.

Care Dependency Grant :

is a financial support for care givers who are support a child who has a severe mental and physical disability.
The following are the documents that will be needed for the application:

  • The applicant’s identity document and that of the spouse, or
  • Birth certificate of the child
  • In a case where the applicant or the spouse or the child does not have identity document, the applicant has complete an affidavit supplied by sassa to confirm the details
  • Proof of spousal relationship status ( what prove that you’re in a relationship with spouse). The following documents can be used :
  • Sworn statement or affidavit
  • Divorce Order
  • Marriage Certificate
  • In case of death, spouse’s death certificate
  • A sworn affidavit indicating the applicant’s income and that of spouse if married.
  • Any other supporting documents that can prove income like payslip, appointment letter etc.
  • A medical assessment validating that per the child’s circumstance of mental and physical disability requires permanent care and support services.
  • Generally, in Cass that will require an affidavit, it will be supplied by sassa.

Child Support Grant Documents:

The child support grant is for those needy parent who would require support to take care and raise their children. The following are the documents that have to be submitted for the application to be considered:

  • The applicant’s identity document and the birth certificate of the child.
  • In case the applicant does have the ID and the child too does not have the birth certificate, affidavit has to be completed in a standard sassa format in the presence of Commissioner of Oath who is not a sassa official.
    1. A sworn statement of a reputable person who knows the parent or the child. (The person can be social worker, minister of religion, councillor or traditional leaders)
    2. A proof that you are waiting for an ID or birth certificate after you have applied for one at the Department of Home affairs.
    3. Baptismal certificate
    4. Road to health clinic ( if available)
    5. Temporal ID issued by the department of home affairs
  • Proof of maintenance received for the child
  • Proof of income example appointment letter or payslip.
  • Marriage certificate (if available)
  • If divorce, court proof that the applicant should take custody of the child
  • If the one or both parents are missing or dead, there must be death certificate or police report indicating of missing.

Disability Grant Documents

Disability Grant is to cater for people are medically confirmed that their current condition will not allow them to work. The medical assessment must be done by a qualified medical doctor recognized by sassa although sassa will make the final decision.

  • Applicant’s identity document which proves that he or she is a south Africa citizen
  •  A medical assessment from a qualified medical doctor confirming the applicant’s disability status.
  • The medical assessment report must not be more than three months at the date of application.

Foster Child Grant

This grant is for foster children. The fund is meant for the child.
Documents  needed for foster child grant:
Below are the documents the foster parent or guardian will have to provide in order for the application to be considered:

  • The identity document of the applicant and spouse
  • the birth certificate of the foster child.
  • In a Cass where there is no ID documents or the foster child no having a birth certificate, an affidavit which is supplied by sassa is to be completed.
  • A proof of spousal relationship, the following documents can be used as a proof.
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Order
    • A sworn statement or affidavit
  • In case of spousal death, death certificate can be used
  • A court order putting the foster child into the applicant’s care
READ ALSO:  SASSA Applications - Apply Fast Today

Older Person Grant

This  fund is to support people who are at least 60 years to help them get through their old age.

Below are the documents which have to be submitted by the applicant:

  • The applicant’s identity document, if ID is not available,
  • standard affidavit has to be completed in the presence of Commissioner of Oath who is not a sassa official.
  • a reputable person can a sworn statement confirming he know the applicant’s age and name.
  • sassa official will take the finger prints of the applicant.
  • the applicant will referred to the Department of home affairs to apply for an ID whilst the application is being processed.
  • Proof of marital status if available.
  • A proof of residency
  • Proof of income or dividends if applicable
  • Proof of assets including properties you have ownership of.
  • Proof of private pension if available.
  • Bank statement for the past three months prior to your application.
  • In case you were employed, there should be Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your last employer.
  • In case your spouse has died within the last five years, a copy of the will and a first and last liquidation accounts if applicable.
  • In case the applicant is too old or sick to go the registration centre, the applicant can appoint a family member or friend to apply on the applicant’s behalf. But person should take a letter from the applicant or a doctor confirming the applicant will not be able to go to the office

Social Relief of Stress:

This grant is a temporal arrangement for persons who have in short of basic needs due to some extent disaster or acute delay of supply.

Here are the documents you need to submit together with your application:

  • Applicant’s identity document and children’s birth certificate, if not available the following can be used instead:
  • an affidavit commissioned by the Justice of the Peace. The affidavit should contain a clause  which indicates that failure to provide correct and accurate information will result in prosecution in accordance with Section 21 of the Social Assistance Act, 2004.
    • A sworn statement from a reputable person (eg. a councillor, religious minister or traditional leaders) to acknowledge knowledge of the Applicant and children
    • Proof that birth certificate or identity document is applied  and waiting at the Department of home affairs
    • A temporary ID issued by the department of home affairs if applicable.
  • baptismal certificate
  • road to health clinic card
  • a school report
READ ALSO:  Breaking News: SASSA Starts Sending Approval Messages to Qualified Applicants -R350

You Might Also Wish To Know: SASSA Payment Dates for 2020

War Veteran Grant

This grant is to support ex military officers who served in the Second World War (1939 -1945) or the Korea War (1950 -1953) who will need financial assistance.

Below are the needed documents to submit before applying:

  1. A 13 digit bar coded identity document, but in case the ID is not available then the following can be used instead:
  2. You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
  3. You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
  4. You must bring proof that you have applied for ID at the Department of Home Affairs.
  5. A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable)
  6. Proof of your war service, e.g. certificate of service.
  7. If you are under 60, a medical assessment or report stating that you cannot work.
  8. Proof of your marital status. If:
    1. you are single, an affidavit stating that you are single
    2. you are married, your marriage certificate and your spouse’s identity document
    3. you are divorced, your divorce order
    4. your spouse is dead, your spouse’s death certificate.
    5. If you or your spouse is employed, your pay slips.
  9. If you are unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) blue book or discharge certificate from your previous employer.
  10. If you have a bank account, your bank statements for the last three months.
  11. If you have investments, information on the interest and dividends you earn

For further enquiries, always contact sassa officials on                       Tel: 012 400 2000 or visit


Evans is internet bird always searching for the best information for his readers for Sassa, nsfas, university, tvet colleges, admissions

View all posts by Jaydee →

4 thoughts on “SASSA Documents Needed for Application

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: