NSFAS Requirement and Qualification 2020
List of all nsfas requirements and qualification before applying for nsfas bursary
Do you want to apply for nsfas bursary but have no clue as what is required before your application will be considered? Or you don’t know if you qualify for the nsfas bursary altogether?
In this post I have carefully gathered nsfas requirements and qualification that have to be considered before applying for nsfas financial support. The courses or programmes of study that nsfas fund. Remember not every course of study that nsfas funds.
Let us start with the qualifications. The following criteria is used in order to ascertain if you qualify for the bursary in the first place. You need to first examine yourself to see if indeed you qualify but you will have provide documents to prove your claims. Sometimes, they do background checks if what you have provided is correct.
Qualification and Eligibility:
- You must be a citizen of the Republic of South Africa (legally or naturally)
- Your combined household income is not more than R350,000 annually.
- You are SASSA grant beneficiary
- You are registering for an undergraduate qualification in any of the public universities or TVET colleges for National Certificate Vocational for the first time.
- The applicant is applying to study in any public universities or TVET college
- You have registered as a university student and has annual household income not more than R122, 000.
- You should have passed Grade 9 and 10 to study in any of the 50 TVET colleges across the country.
- You should have passed Grade 12 to study at a university.
Those who do not qualify:
- Students who have completed a previous funding
- Students whose combined annual income exceeds R350,000
- Those who have already benefited from the funding and passed all their modules and met the academic requirements
- Foreign students who are residing in South Africa.
Nsfas fund coverage (Items NSFAS cover or Pays for)
The nsfas bursary covers the following cost of education:
- Tuition fee or total cost of study
- Subsidized book allowance
- Subsidized accommodation pegged at maximum amount that will be determined by nsfas
- Subsidized food allowance
- Subsidized transport allowance
- Registration fees. Here nsfas has made it clear that, although they would pay for registration fee, but if the student pays it, nsfas will not reimburse the student
- Prescribed learning materials which nsfas determines the ceiling.
- Personal Care Allowance
Supporting Documents Required
The applicant must make available the following valid copies of documents prior application for nsfas funds:
- Your South African Identity Document (ID) or card or birth certificate for those who are less than 16 years.
- Certified IDs of parents and or legal guardian or death certificate if applicable in your case. (For those who have their parents or guardians deceased)
- Payslip, pay advice, letter of employment or pension payment. Sassa cards or slips are not part of the documents as they are not treated as household income.
- A completed and signed copy of the consent form. A copy of the consent form can be downloaded here. Your parents would have to sign the consent form. All the people who contributed or are part of the incomer earners of the household must have their signature on the consent form. Failure to do so will render your application invalid and will not be considered.
- If there is disability whatsoever, then complete the Annexure A form which can be downloaded from nsfas website or here.
- All those documents that has to certified must not be more than 3 months after being certified.
Have a look at this one too: How to reset your nsfas account logins password or username
Post Graduate Courses funded by nsfas
TECH: ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: ARCHITECTURE (PROFESSIONAL)
B TECH: BIOKINETICS
B TECH: BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: BIOTECHNOLOGY
B TECH: CARTOGRAPHY
B TECH: CHIROPRACTIC
B TECH: CLINICAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: DENTAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE
B TECH: ENGINEERING: CHEMICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: CIVIL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: ELECTRICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: INDUSTRIAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: MECHANICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: MECHANICAL: MECHATRONICS
B TECH: ENGINEERING: METALLURGY
B TECH: ENGINEERING: REFRACTORIES
B TECH: FORESTRY
B TECH: HOMOEOPATHY
B TECH: NURSING
B TECH: NURSING SCIENCE
B TECH: NURSING: COMMUNITY NURSING
B TECH: NURSING: PRIMARY HEALTH CARE
B TECH: NURSING: OCCUPATIONAL NURSING
If you’re a post graduate student and your course is not listed among the courses up there, you are encouraged to apply for bursary from National Research Foundation (NRF). Access their website here nrf.ac.az for minim requirements and closing dates.
You can always catch up with nsfas through the following channels
Tel: 08 000 67327
Email: info @nsfas.org.za
Facebook : nsfas facebook
YouTube: nsfas Youtube
Twitter : nsfas Twitter
Instagram: nsfas Instagram