SASSA Child Support Grant

How To Apply for Child Support Grant- SASSA 2020

The Child Support Grant applicant must meet the following requirements

  1. The primary caregiver must be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee.
  2. Both the applicant and the child must reside in South Africa.
  3. The applicant must be the primary caregiver of the child/ children concerned.
  4. The child/children must be born after 31 December 1993.
  5. The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test.
  6. Children can not apply for more than six non-biological children.
  7. A child can not be cared for in-state institutions.

How much will you get?
You will get R440 a month per child.

How will you be paid?

The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods:

  • cash at a specific pay point on a particular day
  • electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may  charge you for the service) 
  • an institution acting as administrator of the grant.

Note: If you are unable to collect the money yourself, you can appoint a procurator at the SASSA office, or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf.

When may the child’s grant be reviewed?

SASSA can decide if the child’s grant must be reviewed. Your income as declared when you apply for the grant will form the basis for this decision. You will be notified three months in advance of the date on which the review will take place or the date on which the life certificate (proof that you are still alive) is due. If you receive your money through the bank, an institution or procurator, you are required to fill in a life certificate for the child at the SASSA offices every year.

When may the child’s grant be suspended?

The following may result in the suspension of the child’s grant:

  • a change in your circumstances
  • the outcome of a review
  • if you fail to co-operate when the child’s grant is reviewed
  • when you commit fraud or misrepresent the child
  • if there was a mistake when the child’s grant was approved
  • if the child is no longer in your care.

When will the child’s grant lapse?

The grant will lapse:

  • if the child passes away
  • if the child is admitted to a state institution
  • if the caregiver doesn’t claim it for three consecutive months
  • if the child is absent from the country
  • at the end of the month in which the child turns 18.

Click on the Button Below to see How to Apply

READ ALSO:  Can I Apply for the Reinstated SRD R350 Grant Right Now?


Evans is internet bird always searching for the best information for his readers for Sassa, nsfas, university, tvet colleges, admissions

View all posts by Jaydee →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: