SASSA SRD EXTENDED

SASSA SRD PAYMENT LIKELY TO BE CONTINUED – ZULU

The Minister of Social Social Development Department Ms Lindiwe Zulu has through an interview with the media explained the way forward of the just ended SASSA SRD payments. The SRD (Social Relief of Distress) payment announced by the President as part of measures to mitigate the impact the of the global pandemic which has devasted most countries economies.

Below is the excerpt of the media briefing with the department minister courtesy thesouthafrican.com:

Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu has given a cautiously optimistic forecast out for the extension of the R350 grant. However, it would switch from being a typical SASSA payment, and eventually resume as a ‘Basic Income Grant’.

WILL THE R350 GRANT BE EXTENDED BEYOND OCTOBER?

That’s what the Cabinet member in charge of SASSA told SABC on Wednesday. During a TV interview, she explained that everyone who had successfully applied – and those who win their appeals – will receive all payments owed to them by the end of October – when the R350 grant ceases to exist.

However, there’s been something of an outcry on this matter. Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande said that the payment had been ‘a lifeline’ for millions of South Africans who have been hampered by the coronavirus pandemic. Should the R350 grant expire at any point, a large majority of applicants would be left with no other source of income.

“THOSE OWED MONEY WILL BE PAID” – ZULU

Lindiwe Zulu, however, says the scheme will be extended – but didn’t commit to a date:

“People on the R350 grant will still receive their money, even though the grant is ending. Those owed payments will still be paid, that’s what we have budgeted for. We won’t accept new applications, but we will extend this scheme for those who have already received payment.”

SASSA: HURDLES IN THE WAY OF R350 GRANT EXTENSION

Looking forward, Zulu was adamant that the switch to a ‘Basic Income Grant’ would happen sooner rather than later. However, the minister pulled no punches and admitted the project could be very expensive. She told the broadcaster that, although the political support is there, discussions about funding an extended R350 grant are still ongoing.

“We’re looking at more sustainable support in the future. The ANC has formed a team of experts to look at this. South Africa has the capacity to ensure more can be done. There is strong support for a basic income grant to replace the R350 grant, but the policy has to be accepted and implemented through the proper channels.”

“The grant would apply to people aged between 18-59, the people who tend to fall between social grants. I’m excited about this, but we also have financial constraints. We’re all agreed upon it, but we must consider the financial difficulties too.”

Lindiwe Zulu

FULL Video Below

Source: Youtube

MyLove@Par

Evans is internet bird always searching for the best information for his readers for Sassa, nsfas, university, tvet colleges, admissions

View all posts by MyLove@Par →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: